“Summer loving had me a blast, oh yeah. Summer loving happened so fast…” —Grease, Summer Nights
Its’ the stuff dreams and movies are made of: summer love. Warm summer nights, afternoons at the beach, vacations to the Caribbean—whether you are hoping to meet your next crush or are looking forward to romancing your long-time love —summer is sure to heat things up.
Did you know that June 19th is National Kissing Day? Are you ready to get romantic? A healthy mouth and kissable lips are key to having the summer you have been dreaming of. From making sure that your teeth and gums are in top condition, to protecting and caring for your lips so they stay soft and blemish free, there are several measures you can take to stay romance ready all summer long.
Tips for a healthy mouth
The best way to make sure that your mouth stays healthy and halitosis free is to stay on top of your at-home oral hygiene practices. Don’t forget the basics:
- Brush twice a day
- Rinse after brushing
- Floss daily
Take your oral care to the next level. You already know you need to set up routine visits with your dentist to keep your teeth in top condition. Consider the following treatments for extra protection.
- Regular fluoride treatments can help keep your teeth strong, especially if your water source is fluoride free.
- Dental sealants can protect your teeth from decay. Consider having them applied to your back teeth.
- Along with your routine cleanings, try a whitening treatment so that your healthy smile shines through.
Taking care of your lips
If you are concerned about keeping lips kissable, consider the following tips:
- Apply balm to your lips before you wash your face. It protects them from drying elements in your cleanser that can cause them to chap and flake.
- Use a humidifier at night to keep your skin (including your lips) moisturized.
- Don’t pick at flakey lips. Instead, remove the extra skin with a lip exfoliator or combine sugar and honey for a natural exfoliator.
- Protect your lips from the rays with sunscreen.
- If you wear lipstick, try to find one with vitamin E or Shea butter in it.
- Stay hydrated with water. Drink. Drink. Drink!
- If your lips are chapped, avoid spicy foods, foods high in citrus, and salt. They will only cause lips to dry out more.
- Avoid licking your lips. The acids in your saliva can cause irritation.
When cold sores appear
Nothing kills the mood like a cold sore. They are painful, unsightly, and contagious. They make talking and eating uncomfortable, and can be confidence busters when trying to woo someone.
Cold sores heal over the course of seven to 14 days, but true love doesn’t wait. There are over-the-counter treatments that come in the form of messy ointments and creams that make the lesions more noticeable when applied while only reducing the healing time by 1 to 2 days. Or, you can talk to your dentist about getting immediate results with laser therapy.
Laser therapy uses photonic laser energy to destroy the active virus responsible for the oral lesions and is accomplished quickly and comfortably without the need for anesthetic. Often, those who seek treatment at the first signs of the virus (tingling, and light burning sensations) don’t develop sores. However, if sores have already erupted the progression is stopped, and the appearance and discomfort is greatly decreased. Your lips will immediately appear significantly clearer, and be completely lesion-free in typically one to two days allowing you to feel more confident about getting cuddly.
The benefits of laser therapy include:
- Profound and immediate pain relief
- Treatment stops lesions’ progression immediately
- Significantly reduces healing time
- Treatment time of just a few minutes
- Treatment is painless and can be conducted with out anesthetic (it feels like warm air blowing)
- After treatment, sores reoccur with less frequency and less intensity at the same location
- Treatment is affordable and can be insurance reimbursable
With a little extra effort and support from your dental care providers, this summer is sure to be the best yet. Don’t let chapped lips or bad breath stand in the way of getting cozy under the summer night sky with that someone special. Call us today to schedule your next appointment or a cleaning and get your summer started off right.